Pregnancy, Birth, and Postpartum
Pregnancy, Birth, and Postpartum
***Nourish the mother to nourish the baby***
For thousands of years women have been using this medicine to contribute to a more comfortable pregnancy, birth, and postpartum experience. In Chinese medicine, pregnancy is viewed as a woman’s window of opportunity to enhance her well being. Emphasis is placed on preventative care to strengthen the mother and baby, as well as addressing specific issues as they occur during pregnancy. Women who receive acupuncture while pregnant feel more connected to their baby, more relaxed about the birth process, and have fewer symptoms than other pregnant women. In addition to moms feeling their best, the babies inside the womb love receiving acupuncture. Babies typically are active during treatments and tend to grow more optimally when moms get acupuncture regularly.
We commonly treat women seeking pregnancy support with the following conditions:
- Nausea (morning sickness)…this actually works!! Don’t suffer unnecessarily! Usually from weeks 7-12
- Anxiety or depression
- Support with history of recurrent miscarriage and threatened miscarriage
- High-risk pregnancy (please call to discuss your specific needs)
- Body pain (sciatica, back pain, rib pain, pelvic pain, headaches, neck pain)
- Acid reflux (heartburn)
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Common cold
- Small-to-date babies (helpful for organ development and weight gain)
- Breech or posterior babies—ideally start treatment before week 37
- PRE-BIRTH TREATMENTS–offered once a week, starting at week 36, to prepare mom for the most comfortable and efficient labor possible. Women who receive these treatments are more successful at having the type of labor and birth they desire. These treatments reduce symptoms and ease stress.
- LABOR INDUCTION–several acupuncture points have been shown to stimulate uterine contractions. While these points are avoided throughout most of the pregnancy, they work wonderfully for signaling the body to go into labor at full term. This type of treatment is completely safe. Labor induction with acupuncture was recently shown in a study to reduce medical inductions by 35-43%, the use of epidurals by 31%, and emergency Cesareans by 32%.
Baby is here and you want to be at your best. Wise women know that you must take time to heal properly after birth or your health can be affected for the long term. Moms that are intentional about their postpartum period tend to regain their health quicker, have a more robust milk supply, and enjoy their baby’s first year. Moms can optimize their recovery and manage symptoms after birth with acupuncture and herbal medicine. We often help moms who are experiencing constipation, urinary and pelvic floor problems, insomnia, back/neck pain, hip pain, low milk supply, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, insomnia, night sweats, post-partum depression, and fatigue. We also can help Cesarian-section pain, scar-healing and provide stress relief for both parents.
*Postpartum depression—After giving birth, the body goes through hormonal changes that can manifest both physically and mentally. Acupuncture can help moderate these hormonal changes and smooth this transition. In addition to acupuncture we can safely prescribe Chinese herbs to help speed recovery and stabilize the mood.
*Lactation support–There are specific acupuncture points and Chinese herbs that can increase the milk supply in lactating women. We can discuss dietary and lifestyle changes to support healthy milk supply. Please contact us as soon as possible if you are struggling with milk supply.